The Life of Poojya Sukhabodhananda
Poojya Sukhabodhanadaji is one of the most respected Spiritual Master from India, an erudite motivational speaker, a Vedantic scholar , a Spiritual scientist nicknamed as Corporate Guru, whose core teaching is to bring about transformation in every individual through clarity and understanding rather than blind faith and following . His unique ability to deconstruct the most critical challenges of life and offer holistic solutions and simple problem solving approach has transformed the lives of millions across the globe.
A precious gift from the unknown sent by the Lord almighty was born to the noble souls of Smt Rukmani and Sri Srinivasamurthy on 25th April 1955 in Bangalore. Named as Dwaraknath, after one of the several names of Lord Krishna, who later on became the main foundation and guide to his life.
Born in a prestigious business family in Bangalore of yesteryears to a father who was a philanthropist with a service attitude and passion for life was the one who taught him noble and empowering values of life. Being in a joint family, the way his mother served her in-laws and the old people at home with an ever smiling face, established the value in him for service with a smile to contribute to humanity as a whole.
When he was 10 years old, being close to his mother he had promised her “i will make you feel proud of your life when i grow up”. His mother remembers these words even today when she sees him fulfil His promise.
COLLEGE DAYS – FORMATIVE YEARS
A student of the prestigious St. Josephs College in Bangalore had to encounter peers who were into drugs. It was the story of Dharmaraja in Mahabharata which he heard from his grandma helped him to detest himself from the lure of these bad habits. Thus the scriptures laid the foundation of his life during his formative years. The mysteries of life lured him to ask this fundamental question to his near and dear ones who were lost in pursuit of pleasures , name and fame ARE YOU HAPPY? None could answer in the affirmative. That was the time he came in touch with Swami Chinmayananda who in one of his discourses said “Happiness is not outside but within”. This statement had a deep impact on his mind which led him to explore into this dimension and he eventually joined Sandeepany Sadhanalaya under Swami Chinmayananda at the age of 20.
It was a great learning experience being the youngest in the group of students. His response to the teachings always garnered praise and appreciation from the master himself who once said –“You have god’s grace do not turn back, you are young and commited -go forward”. This appreciation boosted his confidence at the same time cautioned him against being arrogant. The Gita sloka vidya vinaya sampanne barhamane became his guide. The more a person is learned the more humble he should become. His exposure to the lofty and mystical teachings of Vedanta, Brahma Sutra and the Gita attuned him to the fundamentals of a wise being and the sadhana to attain the ultimate goal of Moksha. As Brahmachari Nitya Chaitanya he chose to stay back in the Chinmaya Ashram. Swami Chinmayananda encouraged him to go and spread this message of the Upanishads to the world citing his skill and the gift of teaching and follow the footsteps of the master himself. This was a great encouragement.
THE HIMALAYAN MYSTICAL EXPERIENCE
At the tender age of 20 his journey to the Himalayas was a mystical blessing. He came across many mystics and monks who blessed him. Many mystical experiences came his way which he couldn’t decipher.
- He was blessed by an elderly Bengali monk a vedantic scholar, an ascetic said “Looking at your eyes I know you will go very far ahead in the Spiritual endeavour. Don’t leave the himalayas”. But his Guru Chinmayananda’s order to spread the message was there which couldn’t disregard.
- While bathing in the hot springs in Yamunotri an elderly person held his feet tightly accosted him to his ashram in a cave and performed the traditional Arti to him. Later it was found that he was the most respected mystic of that area. It was a heightened experience of bliss devotion humility and divinity which cannot be put into words.
- Similarly, another mystic a resident of Badrinath came from nowhere and bowed down to him with great respect and offered salutations and blessed him.
These mysterious happenings were really surprising. A great learning –“Humility is the greatest virtue.” A learning which he practices even to this day. It’s humility and gratitude that allows one to really see and experience the Fullness of life.
TEACHING – TRANSFERENCE OF LEARNING
He was initiated into Sanyas at the age of 28 by Poojya Swami Dayananda who was his other guru. In 1982 Swamiji established the organization called PRASANNA TRUST and continued the work of spreading the message of Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads.
Realising that an interactive mode is more impactful than the discourse mode in transforming people’s lives, a four day dialogue oriented interactive workshop coupled with group dynamics and meditations was started in the name of “LIFE” ( Living in Freedom An Enquiry) in the year 1987. The impact was instantaneous. Participants danced out of joy. People felt richly empowered. This led to a series of similar programs tailor made to cater to different sections of people viz, youth, parents, teachers, corporate citizens, general public all based on the Gita and Upanishads but presented in a modern perspective. The Corporate world lapped up these programs and thus the nick name as CORPORATE GURU came about.
His talks on Gita, Upanishads, various workshops, and meditation retreats have transformed the lives of millions all over the world.
A MAN OF LETTERS
A prolific writer whose first book “MANASE RELAX PLEASE” in Tamil became a best seller which is said to have revolutionised Tamil literature for its simple and profound style appealing to all sections of people starting from a the most educated to the layman. This book has been translated in most of the Indian languages. From then on he has authored books in more than 112 titles in different languages and the process continues.
- In the year 1988 well before the slogan of save the girl child was publicised he started a Home for Homeless girl children in the name of PRASANNA JYOTHI more so because Girls are more oppressed compared to the boys .
- Nirguna Mandir a meditation centre was established in 1997 in Koramangala Bangalore which is a beehive of various activities both Transformative and Social service.
- Conducting free cataract operations for the needy,
- Providing artificial limbs and callipers to the handicapped people from impoverished background,
- Conducting blood donation camps,
- Providing free cardiac care including heart procedure for the poorest of the poor,
- Providing scholarships to students from economically weaker sections of society.
- Rotary Seva Ratna was awarded in recognition of his service to humanity at large
- Personal Excellence Award by Rotary International for impacting the lives of many
- Karnataka’s Best Social Service Award by Essel group and Zee Network
- The second Indian to be honoured at the prestigious Lotus Millionaires Intellectual Club at Manhattan, New York
- Swamiji was invited as a dignitary on 5 different panels at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
- Swamiji was a special invitee to the United Nations World Millennium Summit of Spiritual Leaders.
- Reva University, Bangalore has conferred Corporate Excellence Award for blending spirituality as a game changer in the Corporate World.
- “Times of India” in one of their poll on “who talks the best” places Swamiji as the one, who tops the list on all counts as the best speaker.
- Swamiji was invited as a ‘ Corporate Guru’ to deliver key note address on ‘Leadership & Change Management’ at GyanSangam as the star attraction at the finance ministry retreat which was attended by the Prime Minister, Finance Minister, The RBI Governor & Senior North Block officials, Chairmen &Directors of various nationalized banks and financial institutions to bring about banking reforms. It was termed as a great success and invited him again as a key note speaker in Gyan Sangam 2 for Bank CEO’s.